Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pull Yourself Together

This morning, I opened my email, as I do almost every morning; however this morning set a different tone to my day. I was greeted by an astonishing racist email sent to me (About why we apparently can't find jobs). I had to read it twice to make sure that it really was as shocking as I first thought.
Really people!?
Is our world still this small!?
Yes, the cultural make up of our cities is changing. I get that.  I understand how frustrating it is when new immigrants segregate themselves into a certain area of town, and "take over".  But did you MAYBE ask WHY this happening? Hey- maybe it's not so much segregation as it is people trying to gather with others who understand their experience, who have open arms and are willing to help... instead of you know judging... and complaining- which seems to be all I see lately.

We NEED immigration! Without our country could actually COLLAPSE? Do you get that? If things continue as it is right now without the "dreaded immigrants", we will have more seniors than children and middle aged sectors COMBINED. How are we to sustain a country with stats like that? Are you going to want to work full time when you're 78? No I didn't think so. Did you know that most multi-cultural centers are in DESPERATE need of volunteers to help teach English to new comers? Instead of complaining  "those immigrants can't even speak our language"- why don't you help? Be a part of the solution!

The Wonderful Husband and I ARE going to raise our Daughter in a world where the colour of your skin, the accent you speak with will not matter. I REFUSE to tolerate this behavior, to ignore it, to pretend that I understand. I wont raise Natalia to believe, that anything other than tolerance and acceptance, is acceptable. I hope that you will take this stand with me as well.


We are past the segregated schools, the yellow stars... this is 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!