Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kindle Love'n

*** Warning... I'm about to go into FULL FORCE DORK MODE here ***

Recently I got my Super Amazing Christmas Gift- a Kindle. At first I thought that it would be something pretty cool for road trips, or sick days in bed. After all why would I give up my books!? One of my FAVORITE things about reading is the smell of the book, and shifting weight of it as you flip the pages. I wasn't sure if I would be able to give this up, after all, I love the PROCESS of reading as much, if not more, than actually reading.

But then I read my first Kindle Book. I found myself completely drawn in. So much so that I found myself in the bath tub one night with my Kindle safely tucked into a Freezer sized plastic bag. (Talk about quality waterproof cases!) I now spend my evenings absorbed into a world of my own while The Wonderful Husband is able to play a video game in peace. It did take a few chapters to get used to reading on the screen. And it still feels very weird pushing a button to turn a page, but over all I don't feel like I'm give up a large part of the process. Coolest thing of all, is that I am able to read and NURSE at the same time. This is seriously amazing. However, there are some books that I'm still not willing to give up the physical copy. Some books where I just need that smell and weight- it seems like it's a part of the story.

After I gave The Wonderful Husband my updated list of Books I wanted (He's found a resource of free Kindle books for me), I found some other books on my Kindle. The Wonderful Husband has never been much of a reader at all. Online articles he's all over. But a physical book. Thats practically unheard of. He has started to bring my Kindle to work and reads on his breaks. I'll give you a moment to absorb that. Yes. He READS on his breaks now!! This new break through makes my super amazing-second-child-Kindle that much more amazing. We are both reading books on the Kindle at the same time with out issue- the Kindle will automatically go the the last page you've read in a book, or you can "place a bookmark". Very cool.

I want to try to keep track of HOW much more I actually read now, so I've started a list on the side of the blog. Maybe I can hit 100 books by 2012?

I think that this new development means that once I get back to work we'll have to get a second Kindle.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could ever read a "digital" book. I'm a big techy and all, but I think it would be too weird to read on the screen instead of actual paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats EXACTLY what I thought. But that way that the screen is, it actually looks just like a page out of a book. Its the weirdest thing EVER. The only difference is the way you turn the page and the weight.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!