Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let's Gather Around The Table

Ok. Disclaimer first. I am a HUGE dork. I am 100% willing and able to admit that. This post is about my kitchen table. (I told you I was a dork).

Background, so you can understand my excitement. Back when I first moved into my own apartment, I was given a cheap little pine kitchen table. This table was a twice over hand-me-down that had found a home in my parents basement as a work table. It was not pretty. The varnish was all peeling and discoloured. Gashes out of the top and random green stains streaked the top. But it was my table, in my first little apartment. So I kept strategically laid placements on it and Murphy oiled it nearly daily in an attempt to make it less ghetto. I also didn't allow it to be photographed.

When Jay and I moved into to your last place, we had no room for my little ghetto table, so off it went to storage. Currently we have a roommate in our new place, and have been using his oak table set. Upon the realization that in a few months our roommate, and kitchen table would be gone, it came clear the ghetto table would be making an appearance again. I didn't want a ghetto table. My daughter deserves to eat at a FAMILY table... not a ghetto table. I have spent HOURS searching on websites, both for new and used tables that we could get. Nothing in our meager budget right now that was better than the ghetto table. Hrumph. Jay and I then concluded, that with the help of my Father-In-Law we were going to sand down and re-varnsih the table top. (FIL is a wood working guru).
Glass like finished! Ghetto no more!

Fast forward to this weekend. We go and visit my FIL where he pops the BIGGEST surprise on me! He re-did my table top! YUP! Its a ghetto table no-more! Not only is it sanded and varnished, but he did an acrylic, indestructible finish on the top. It looks like a new fancy-dancy table. I can't wait to get in my kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!