Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DIY Nursing Pillow Cover

DIY Nursing pillow cover
Here comes my cheapness again. I was going to pick up a nursing pillow cover about, 8 months ago, but there was no way I was willing to shell out $15 for one. So I waited for them to go on sale. And waited. 8 months later and still no sign on a sale. I DID, however; find a bolt of fabric on sale at Ikea for $4. I've made a play pen sheet with it already, and still have plenty left. So today I decided it was time to attempt to make my own cover with my wing it as I go pattern philosophy that seems to be serving me well. Instructions are after the jump!

Materials need:
Fabric (enough to roughly cover both sides of your nursing pillow and a third) (Pre-shrunk of course)
Fabric pen
Tracing the pillow
Pins
Sewing machine

1.) Trace your nursing pillow on the fabric leaving about an extra inch border
2.) Re-trace your nursing pillow again, but only the bottom 2/3rds
3.) Trace again but the top 2/3rd of the pillow.
4.) Cut out the 3 pieces you have traced
The pattern traced and cut
Front, TOP, BOTTOM
5.) Hem the bottom edge of the TOP 2/3rd piece, and hem the top of the BOTTOM 2/3rd pieces (the two edges that would line up to complete the shape of the pillow are what you are hemming... does that make sense?)
6.) Pin together the three pieces, right side facing in. You want to have the TOP 2/3rds down first, and the BOTTOM 2/3rds on top, there should be about a 1/3rd overlap (Mine isn't quite enough)
7.)Sew around the outside edges.
Pinning together
8.) if you have a serger, go over the edges again to reinforce them, if you are like me and don't go over the edges with your zig zag stitch. I'd recommend going back and forth over the overlapping edges to make sure they are nice and strong... cause its not like a baby is going to be ever pulling at it right?
9.) Turn your pillow right-side out and use the pocked part of the case to insert your pillow!
10.) There you go! Now when you're nursing and your baby whips their head off causing mass amounts of milk spraying you can easily wash your pillow... because that never happens... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!