Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's Getting Hot in Here!

We've been extremely fortunate with Natalia's health. She's only had a cold once or twice, and it barely phased her. This last week has been a huge learning experience for The Wonderful Husband and I.

Tuesday Tali got her shots. She was fine, and it didn't seem to affect her at all. Wednesday, she was still her jolly self, except slightly more picky when it came to her food. Thursday night I went to a concert with a Childhood friend. When I came home at 3am (on the Friday) I went in to tuck Tali and blow her a kiss, since I'm a sap like that. When I went into her room, she was laying there already awake, but not making a nose or really moving around. This is very odd. When I touched her, I could immediately tell that she had a fever, but she didn't seem bothered by it. I gave her a sippy cup of cold water and took her blankets out of her bed so she wouldn't over heat. Normally this is where it ends. Maybe a does of Advil if we're really concerned.

My Cuddle Bug
But it was different this time. Friday she didn't want to play. She didn't want to eat, I even made her favourite for breakfast- pancakes. I took her temperature, to find she was still defiantly fevered at 38.7 (101.7) and gave her some Advil. I called the nurse at out doctors office. I was advised to keep the Advil in her and bring her in if her fever got any worse, they were open until 5:30. The day continued on, with Tali wanting to do nothing but cuddle in my arms. That was fine, her fever stayed steady, but controlled. The Wonderful Husband came home from work, just as things started to go down hill. Talia came into the kitchen while I was making dinner. She was bright red all over and insanely hot to the touch. We immediately took her temperature, to find it dangerously high at 40.1 (104.2), with Advil still in her system. I threw some things into the diaper bag as The Wonderful Husband got his shoes on and the car started to head over to the hospital.

Once in the ER, it took almost 40 mins before he was able to check in with Triage, but right after that they were ushered into a curtained area to see the ER Doctor. They agreed that her fever was very high, and checked her out to make sure there were no infections lurking around. They piggybacked the Advil with some Tylenol and sent her home once the fever was under control. With directions to us to keep Advil and Tylenol in her system until the fever breaks and to bring her back in if any other symptoms creep up.

All of Saturday and most of Monday Tali was still burning up.  Then this morning I was greeted by a baby covered in a bright red rash. Again I phoned the nurse, and was advised to bring her in. After fully checking her out, they let us know she's fighting a viral infection. All we can do is let it run its course.

As horrible and heart breaking as it is to have a sick baby, I can at least find the silver lining and say that I am really enjoying all the cuddle time that I've been getting the last few days! I will be relieved when she wants to do nothing but play, but it's been really nice to feel wanted for more than a quick kiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!