Monday, June 6, 2011

DIY Blackout Curtains


I’m sure that many of you (or I should say the few of you) that read my little blog here have noticed a pretty rapid decline in entries as of late, especially the DIY posts. This isn’t because I’ve gotten sick of blogging. I actually really enjoy it. But I’ve been working, a lot. And a lot of those shifts have been night shifts. These shifts are EXHAUSTING.  It’s impossibly hard to sleep during the day, when Talia is playing with Mary Poppins instead of me, especially when the sun is shining and the world is waiting.

I’ve worked nightshifts before, and I was only able to sleep if my room was completely dark. Before I had an attic bedroom, with little tiny windows, and all I had to do was put some sheets of black crafters foam over the windows, and voila, pitch dark.  This is a trick that would not work in our bedroom. I neglected to think of this fact until the day I had to go into my first night shift (which also happened to be Mothers day!)

My solution to this was to look into purchasing Blackout Drapes.  When I searched this on Google to buy some I was astounded by the price. I decided that I was going to make my own.
Want instructions on how to make your own Blackout Drapes? It’s after the jump!


Materials Needed:
(Being that I only had 2 hours to whip up my blinds, I had to use what I had kicking around the house, and the measurements were not perfect… so keep that in mind!)
1 large dark piece of cotton fabric (I used an old black double sheet)
1 Heavy piece of dark fabric (I used a heavy woven single sized cotton blanket I bought on clearance for $3.99!)
Measuring tape
Sewing Machine
Matching thread
A version of The Wonderful Husband that’s really good at measuring and following directions while you sew like a maniac so you won’t be late for work

Instruction
  Measure the window that you wish to make your drapes for. Ensure that you at least add a foot to your length and 2 feet to the width of you measurements (I didn’t leave enough). Divide your width measurement in half so that you will have two drapes- so that when you have to open them you will have one on each side of the window (if you’re into that sort of thing…)

2)     Take your measurements and cut out the required size for two drapes out of your light cotton, and your heavy cotton. You should now have 4 pieces of fabric.

3)    Cut a long strip, about 3 inches wide from the heavy fabric. Sew it in half so that it is like a tube. Cut off pieces about 5-6 inches long, turn them inside out and iron them flat with the seam in the middle, then fold them in half and iron the fold (with the seams on the inside. These are what you are going to use to hang your drapes up on the curtain rod.

4)      While you set up your sewing machine, and curse that you don’t have a matching color of thread, have you’re version of The Wonderful Husband measure out and pin where the fabric folds from step 3 should go. (Did I mention I did this on Mother’s Day… so The Wonderful Husband was obliged to help!) You want to have your light cotton, with right side facing up, under your heavy fabric on the right side facing in. You are going to place the fabric folds between these two layers, so that the edges are where the seams are going to be, with the folds facing down. (So that when you flip the fabric inside out after the edges are sewn the fabric folds will be on top, to go through your curtain rod to hang)
5)      Sew your pinned edge, and down each side. Leave a space at the bottom open so that you can flip your blinds right side out. Or if you were like me, and didn’t  measure your light cotton carefully/ cut properly, don’t sew the bottom at all)

6)      TADA, you’ve created blackout drapes, have the heavy fabric facing out into your room, and the light fabric against the window

These were incredibly easy to make, and are actually incredibly effective. Mine would be much, much, better had added to my measurements to create a bit more width. I made mine for free, since everything I used I already had, minus the brackets to hang the curtain rod that I was able to pick up for $5 at Home Depot.  Rather than buying fabric, it’s a lot more cost efficient to purchase flat sheets on sale (or from a thrift store), as well as a heavy cotton throw/single sized blanket.  I’m sure that you could bribe The Wonderful Husband to help you with your measurements. (He loves fuzzy peaches and Swedish berries)

3 comments:

  1. I have to say papa bear that's a mighty cost effective idea you had there. Sometimes certain things cost way too much when it's just better to make them yourself. Hope those night shifts get easier for you. I am so happy you found a job that is using your talents though :) Miss you lots! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I too can't sleep unless it is *dark* (streetlight outside the window? major problem) so I think this is fabulous. And I am incredibly impressed that you whipped them up so quickly with what you had around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They were surprisingly easy to make... and the price was certainly right! They block and incredible amount of light... I get my beauty rest!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!