Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Baby and The Fighter

What a weekend. I've been nuts being busy working and picking up a second job (Part Time Correctional Worker at a Federal Halfway House), and The Wonderful Husband and I went to the UFC Fan Expo in Toronto on Saturday before I went into work. I've barely had time to remember my own name much less write a blog entry!

For those of you that have met The Wonderful Husband, you'd know he's a HUGE Mixed Martial Arts fan, and therefore a big supporter of the UFC, but  not one of those EdHardy-My-Shirt-Is-Too-Tight kinda of guys, if you catch my drift. I do enjoy watching the fights with him, but not really a super fan by any means. I know some of the fighters, and I have favourties, but most of what I know is from him . Eventually when Tali is old enough we want to sign her up for Martial Arts. This weekend is the first time that the UFC has come to Ontario and The Wonderful Husband really wanted to be a part of the experience. Since the tickets sold out insanely fast, and were insanely expensive, we decided to go to the Fan Expo instead and order the fight to watch at the house. This ended up working out perfectly since I was offered a shift at the group home on Saturday night for 5pm-12am.

Saturday Morning, we packed the stroller into the trunk, and Tali into the car seat and hit the road for our drive to Toronto. I was not ecstatic to spend my Saturday at a Fan Expose, but lord knows how many times The Wonderful Husband has joined me for events just because I wanted to do. I expected that to be the biggest controversy of the day.  What I didn't expect was all the dirty looks and whispers we got as we pushed Tali through the crowds. Was it really that bad to bring a BABY to a fan expo? No, I dont' think so. The staff and security of the Expo were wonderful and we had no issues with them what so ever. I fully acknowledge that the outfits that a lot of the models (almost all) were wearing is NOT something I would ever permit Tali to wear... but at this age its not something that she is really comprehending, and when she is older, I am going to set the standard of what is okay to wear and what isn't, not some stranger at a fan expo. It's not like everyone there were giving us dirty looks.. but much more than I would have ever expected. Funny how things like that happen when you least expect it! Overall, we did have a really good time, and even managed to get Tali's picture taken with Frank Mir. (Read his Bio... pretty inspirational). By the time we were able to get up to meet him, Tali was getting pretty sleepy.. so she looks like a zombie baby!

Tomorrow is my first day at the Halfway house, once my training is over, I will be working Friday-Saturdays 10pm-6am (Yuck, but guaranteed hours that don't require day care). Tomorrow is also the election, so those of you in Canada, remember to VOTE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!