For those of us in Canada, it's that time, again. We're in the midst of an election campaign to see who will lead our Country.
I've never been one to be involved in politics, in fact, I am the first to admit that I HATE politics. I hate talking about it, I hate it being splashed all over the news. I pretty much despise everything that has to do with elections and politics. I did everything I could in University to try to escape having to take a Political Science class. So, why, you ask am I writing about something I hate so much? The answer is simple. It's important. This is my chance, to help shape the country that my Daughter has to grow up in. This is where I have a say in so many issues that affect my daily bank account! Things like Taxes, usage based internet billing, raising gas prices, interest rates, RESP's the list goes on. Then you look at the long term, the environment that I'm going to leave for my Daughter. What Party is going to look out for my interests the most?
I'm not going to tell you to vote NDP, Liberal, Conservative, Green, or Bloc Quebecois. But I am going to ask that you VOTE. That you VOTE for who you want to see in office, not voting against who you don't want in office. Did you know that in 2008, only 58.8% of those eligible to vote did. (I will admit, I was not part of the 58.8%, I know better now) Thats insane. We let such a SMALL majority of our population make such a HUGE decision for us.
Take a half hour out of you day, look at each parties platform and see what appeals to you- Even if you already think you "just know" who you want to vote for. If you have no idea or just want to double check, CBS has an easy voter compass to give you a good idea what Party matches your political ideals.
Polls are open on May 2nd. Go out, VOTE. Legally you're employer MUST give you a break so that you can go and VOTE during your work day. Take advantage of it, have a say in who will shape the future for our children!
I want so badly to vote (I have voted every time possible since 2008), but I lost my wallet containing ALL of my ID! I'm so crushed, as there's no way I'll have it replaced in time!
ReplyDeleteThat really sucks! Have you contacted Elections Canada to see if there is anything else you can do? :S
ReplyDelete