| In her Cousin's Onesie |
She has lots of pink, purple and pastel coloured girly little outfits, but she also has lots of blue, green, brown outfits that had little boys in mind when they were designed. If I'm looking for an outfit, I have no issue looking in the "Boys" side for Talia if I can't find what I had in mind. I was given bags and bags of hand-me-downs from my sister that were my nephews. Talia wears them- in public too.
Why are we so fixated on the belief that girls are fragile? They need to knit and sew and watch the boys work outside. I was not raised this way, and I know that The Wonderful Husband was not either. Yet I keep hearing people ask me if we're going to put Tali in ballet and gymnastics- and we get dirty looks when we say we're actually thinking of putting her in martial arts instead. Don't get me wrong I LOVE to knit. I love to sew. But what many people don't know is that my GRANDFATHER taught me to knit. And as a child I spent many evenings in the shed with my Dad wood working, and working on Rusty, the 1928 Model AA Ford. Before The Wonderful Husband I moved in together, I had my own set of tools (granted not the best, but I had and used them!)
| In her Girly Dress |
I'll make sure that Tali is able to play with any toy she desires, regardless if its in the boy or girl section. Whats your thoughts on Little Girls with dump trucks instead of Barbie dolls? Do you think we should enforce or dispel gender stereotypes? Do you also feel like you're in a constant uphill battle?
I believe kids should play with whatever toys make them happy. Volunteering with the mix of kids I do it's interesting to see that when we did something beaded some of the girls struggled more then the boys...and when we made bird houses some of the boys struggled more then the girl...I think gender stereo types are a bit dumb. Then again I was raised in the same house as "The Wonderful Husband". Darn right I played with his Tonka trucks, Lego, and well anything else that was a boy toy I could get my hands on. Then again I don't remember him playing with my barbies...
ReplyDeleteIts certainly easier to raise little girls gender neutral. I do know a few little boys that do have their own dolls though :)
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is..let her beeeee! she will guide you.
ReplyDeleteYou may be more of a feminist than you realize. Gina at The Feminist Breeder is a big proponent of gender-neutral parenting. Her sons play with princess-themed dress-ups and aren't limited in what colors they're allowed to like. She was actually featured on a Discovery channel TV show about "radical parenting" because of her views. Check her out: http://thefeministbreeder.com
ReplyDeleteI've actually be an avid reader of TFB for a while. :D I actually credit her blog for a lot of my personal growth when it comes to my birthing/nursing philosophy's! I certainly think I do tend to have a lot of feminist ideologies.. I think I'm just afraid to label myself!
ReplyDelete