Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Nightmare Before Sleep

It's been 8 days of sleep training bliss. I feel as though I'm constantly slamming my hand in a door. Yes Natalia IS learning.. but is she learning lessons that I intend her too? Now when we take her up for bed she cries as soon as we start to put her in her bed. She does eventually fall asleep after what feels like an eternity of gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, silence shattering screams. It's all I can do to hold myself together when I go up to her- thats the easy part. The hard part is walking away while shes still penetrating the silence with the most heart breaking sound I could ever imagine.
What to do, what to do....
Here's her progress so far
Day 1  50 min (with us going up every 10 mins to check on her)
Day 2 40 Mins
Day 3 15 Mins
Day 4 40 Mins
Day 5 40 Mins
Day 6 25 Mins
Day 7 45 mins (Now going up every 15 mins to check on her)
Day 8- 35 mins


The first 2 nights she slept through the ENTIRE night... but now shes up at 2ish and then again at 4, and at 4 shes up for a good hour. (Granted an hour where I get to rock and cuddle her- honestly I love it- one of the only times when she demands to be cuddled). I'm finding this increasingly hard to carry through with. But I don't know if thats more for my sake or hers. I despise this.  But I LOVE the 3 hours before The Wonderful Husband and I go to bed. We can actually hold a conversation and re-connect with each other. But I'm not sure if this is at her detriment. However, she is taking longer naps during the day. I can actually start to work on getting rid of the baby pocket thats found a home on my tummy.


I'd love to hear whats you're take on this? Suggestions? Words of encouragement?

4 comments:

  1. I've been there and done that, Kim! You are doing the right thing and saving yourself (and her!)a lot more pain later as she grows. I always felt the need to set a precedent of what's expected at bedtime, because when the routine changes for any reason (staying out late on holidays, sickness, etc.) I found it easier to get back on track when things return to normal. Shane and I have our evenings to ourselves now and the kids get enough sleep because we had a routine and they always fell asleep on their own (after training). The more sleep they get, the better behaved they are and the easier it is to get them to nap regularly as well. Do the sleep training at naptimes as well. At her age she should be getting 1-1.5 hours of naptime twice a day. Obviously it varies from time to time, but I always stuck by this guideline and it has helped. I wish you luck, and I know how hard it can be! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janis! Thanks! What time did you usually do your naps at with the kids? I can't seem to get Tali into a nap routine for the life of me.
    Thanks again for the help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's 4 or 5 months, right?? I usually did 10am and 2pm, give or take. Most babies get tired around the same time...usually after 4 hours of being awake. Chloe actually would nap earlier and go to bed earlier...she still is like that. I think for the time being you just have to be super consistent and then it's easier to be flexible once the routine is established. There are parents out there who don't care for routine, but I am not one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's 8 month.. Yeah... I think routine is pretty important. Lets the wee-ones know what to expect. Thanks again- you're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!