Thursday, June 23, 2011

I traded my Toddler in for a Terrorist

Before I get started, I want to state, for the record, that I love EVERYTHING about my daughter and have no desire to rush her out of any stage before she's ready.

That being said, Holy Shit, where did my mild mannered, happy go lucky baby go?!?!

The last week it's like a terrorist has just taken hold. Talia throws the biggest temper-tantrum ever if she doesn't get exactly what she wants, how she wants it, when she wants it. She INSISTS that she must feed herself, even if it means throwing all the food all around the kitchen and barely getting any in her mouth (She is getting better at spoon feeding herself everyday though)! She'll throw toys, or food; Not just throw things, but throws things at us (or whoever is close enough).  If she's cranky or over tired she has no greater joys in life than slapping us across the face, pinching us, ripping our hair out, or clamping her jaw tightly around what ever skin she can get between her teeth. Normally all those listed above at the same time.

Seriously, how are you suppose to correct the behaviours of a 13 month old?! It's a challenge. We don't believe in spanking her, nor is she old enough to understand the concept of time outs. We firmly say "TALIA, NO, you don't "_________"! Then put her on the floor, or take what ever toy shes's freaking out about away and ignore her for a few minutes. Then we make her "apologize", which means she has to give us a kiss or a cuddle before she's allowed whatever toy it is she assaulted us with back. Sometimes she seems to get it.. other times she just goes back to what ever it was that she was doing before, while pointing at us and screaming at us with contempt.

If this is whats happening at 13 months, I don't even want to imagine what the "Terrible Twos" are going to be like. She's so willful, so determined and so freaking stubborn. Those are excellent traits, they will take her far in life, I'm sure. I can say with out a doubt, that this is a Girl that will not, under any circumstances, settle for second best, but geeze, is it every hard on her Parents! Any words of wisdom? This Noobie Mom is about to bunker down and hide under a bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!