Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rolling Towards the Big ONE


Tali's first Birthday is coming up, and it's coming up fast! I didn't want to make just the standard cake for her. I wanted something unique and a bit fun, but I'm not very gifted when it comes to artistic baking. Last week, while I was exploring online, I found a super exciting recipe, that was not only unique, but super easy to make as well.

Cake Balls Pre-dipping
Seriously- bake a cake-in-the-box, break it up in to a bowl, add icing, roll into balls, chill, dip into chocolate. Eat and enjoy. Before the big day, I wanted to do a trial run, just in case they tasted like rat poison or something along those lines. However, I was not about to eat 40 some chocolate covered cake balls on my own, and The Wonderful Husband is not too big on the sweets, so unlikely to share in the goodness with me.  So I made up the Cake balls, and got The Wonderful Husband to take them into work to get his co-workers opinions! The over all consensus was that the cake bites were delicious , but  they were too sweet. After one, most people's teeth we're feeling the sugar over load. To fix this, I'm going to use less icing than I did last time (2/3rd of a tub I think should do it instead of the full tub I used), and go a little easier on the chocolate coating. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make a "smack cake" for Tali, or let her have a Cake Bite- or both! I took a picture of each stage in making the cake bites, and they are posted after the jump!




When I make them for Tali's actual Birthday, I'm going to put some effort into making them look good- not just toss them in chocolate, and splatter them with the extra, like I did here. There's a few design ideas on the website that I might use. I'm still trying to decide! Any suggestions! (Remember my artistic abilities are not high)

FYI- you can click on a photo to enlarge it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!