Tuesday, February 1, 2011

You Are Not Pretty

Watch this video first....



I fell in love with the message of this video when it went viral a few months ago. But never thought a lot about it. That is, until yesterday. I went to visit the Ladies I worked with. Only to be told by an elderly female customer that I was raising a "Husky Gal" and I really "needed to watch what I was doing". I did my rant about this on Fbook already, this is not what this post is about.

I have ALWAYS had self esteem issues. For this reason I will not keep a scale in my house. I will got give my self-worth a number. I thought that I was doing enough. My daughter is not even 9months old and already society is telling her that she is not pretty enough, not thin enough. That she is not enough.

Do you have any idea how twisted and disgusting this is? Especially since I have been ADDING to this message of not being enough. I have been trying SO hard to get a flat stomach and thighs that don't resemble tree trunks so that I can feel beautiful and sexy again. And I have been talking about this openly. I didn't for a second realize that I was sending my daughter the message that I am not enough. How is she going to feel like she is enough, if I can't even be the strong example she needs?

From this moment on, My goal is to LOVE my body. To show Tali what a REAL women looks like, that its not only ok to have stretch marks, thighs that touch each other, loose skin on the belly and a bum that jiggles when I walk- but it is NORMAL. From now on when I am swearing at the TV doing my Yoga, I'm going to make sure that Tali know's that I am doing this  to feel healthy NOT into order to look better.

I want to remove the power from the numbers I try so desperately to change and hide.
I am 5'8"
The last time I checked,  I am 153 pounds
I wear a size 9 depending on the brand
I wear a Large sized top

I will no longer try to hide, or embarrassed by this. I am enough. I am going to be the example for my daughter.

8 comments:

  1. Im really proud of you for writing this!!

    And from what I know, babies are suppose to be chubby!! It means theyre healthy!!
    She's not even 9 months old.... what are you suppose to do? Get her a baby eliptical? haha.
    I don't think you should take what this woman said to heart.
    I have always been bigger, but it doesn't really bother me.
    I don't weigh myself or look at what size I am buying. I just wear whatever fits and looks good, who cares what size it is? It's really no ones business except your own!

    You are gorgeous and so is Tali. As long as youre not teaching Tali that she has to be a size 4 or less. Which I know you won't! as long as you are yourself and you show Tali that its who she is that matters, not what she looks like!!
    Don't think too much into it! Obviously she was a bitter old lady (from what I take from it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sammy! I try not to take what the Women said to heart... it just really caught me off guard how soon the pressures to be thin are put onto us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I am proud of you. And you know, I'm 5' 3.5"
    I'm 150lbs
    I have bought two pairs of jeans in the last month and they were both size 9.
    My tops are also a large size.

    And you know 9 and 150 (the large I just blamed on the boobs which makes it not so bad)used to bug me a little...not a lot but a little.

    Now I know you're basically the same, it doesn't seem so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimmy - I am extremely proud of you - and you are more than good enough!! You are raising and amazing little girl and dont let anyone make you think different

    (PS - maybe sometime we can swear at the TV while doing yoga together... or wacky jacks!! haha)

    Keep Smilin' Kim! You ROCK

    ReplyDelete
  5. imfluffynotfat.blogspot.com....


    im in the exact same boat.

    you and i are beautiful. flaws and scars are beautiful.

    : ]

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I think what makes us beautiful is that fact that we are REAL and can admit it with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific! Good for you! Happy for ya.
    Well written, too.

    You're one step ahead of me right now I must admit.. But I'm okay with that, and it's not that big a step. Since having the perfect body never has been that big of an issue to me. Funnily enough tho, at 35yo, my physical appearance is more important to me now than it has ever been before. However, this has more to do with getting to this point where I started deeming myself worthy enough to take care of my body a little better. And not so much, or not at all, to do with wanting to look thin enough so I will feel and be found sexy. The road to this point has been a rocky, long, longg one I can tell you.. And boy! am I glad I've made it over the finish line!

    Back to your post. My two cents:
    This is not just GirlPower,
    this is Amazing, Awesome Pure WomanPower!

    You go, woman!

    (I must admit 'you go, girl' still sounds better)

    Off to share that vid on FB now.

    Peace2u,
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Thank you! It's such a fine line between taking care of oneself- the line really blurs when it comes to looking good for "the right reasons".
    Thanks for the comment- and you're right You Go Girl does sound that much better :P

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!