Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kitchen Slacker

Homemade Beer Crust Pizza
Good thing I've admitted publicly a few times that I may be a tad lazy- or else I'd be a bit embarrassed. My goal has been try to make two new recipes a week. The last week (I think... maybe more?) I haven't done my end of the deal. BUT I haven't been 100% lazy! I do have progress to report! After my last post on my cooking challenge I got a few Facebook messages with some really good ideas- like Taco Potatoes (Thanks Liz!). Then the sesame chicken that didn't turn out perfectly, needed to be attempted again so that it could be perfect... and our love of pizza dough.. needed more tinkering with. So thats what has been my cooking experiments... If you want to know about my dinner attempts, it's after the jump!I'm not going to go into too much detail about the sesame chicken, since I've already posted about it, except to say that it turned out next to perfect with the stated amount of corn starch. (Normally the comments are right.. but ignore them this time). I also breaded the chicken this time and fried it up in a LITTLE bit of oil, and I made the sauce a few hours a head of time... and it was PERFECT. Even looked like the restaurant version. If you missed the recipe the first time I posted it, click HERE for the link.

The next NEW dish that I attempted was the Taco potatoes that was sent to me by Liz- cook up diced potato's until they are JUST cooked, then transfer to a frying pan with oil in the bottom and add in taco spice. then serve with sour cream and green onions. A perfect side dish.... I was lazy and did chicken strips with it.. next time I think I will do chicken cooked in salsa with it! YUMMY!

The Wonderful Husband and I love pizza.. its kinda scary how much of it we could eat. I have a recipe from my Black and Decker Bread maker for white pizza dough, made with beer. Its amazing (thats the crust in the picture).. but not that good for you. Since we eat pizza so often, I wanted to have a healthier version for us. I found a wonderful whole wheat pizza dough recipe. But we wanted to give it a bit of a spin... so instead of the water I substituted beer. It did make the dough harder to roll out and a BIT more crumbly to work with.. but it tasted so good! This recipe also gives you a crap load of dough. Its insane- you only need half of it to make one large pizza. I took the other half of dough and rolled it into little balls. Then mixed olive oil, oregano, basil, chili flakes, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder together and brushed it onto to the balls (in an 8x8 pan) and then toped with a bit of shredded cheese.  They are great.. especially served with extra pizza sauce for dipping! 

Hopefully I'll get my butt into gear and USE the cook books I bought ... Liz did send me a link for homemade tortillas, so I'm going to give those a shot at some point this week!

Do you have any fun yummy recipes that you LOVE? Post them in the comments... I'd love to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? I would LOVE to hear from you!